Effective as at: 10 May 2020
Summary & Contents
EnglishMaster.lk (“EnglishMaster.lk”) is the operator of EnglishMaster.lk. (“the Site”).
This Privacy Notice describes:
The personal information we collect and how we use that information
When we might disclose your personal information; and
How we keep and protect your personal information
It applies to this Site and to any Services where this Privacy Notice is referenced.
We use your personal information to: provide and improve our Services, give you a personalized experience on our sites, contact you, provide customer service, provide you with personalized advertising and marketing, including marketing from third parties, and detect, prevent and investigate fraud and/or other illegal activities.
EnglishMaster.lk web site is responsible for the collection, use, disclosure, retention and protection of your personal information under global standards and applicable national laws. EnglishMaster.lk may transfer data to other members of our corporate network as described in this Privacy Notice who may process and keep your personal information on their servers.
What is Personal information?
“Personal information” is information that can be associated with a specific person that could be used to identify that specific person, either from the data directly or from that data combined with other information that we have, or are likely to have, access to. Personal information doesn’t include anonymous or aggregated information that can no longer be used to identify a specific person.
What is Public Information?
Public information is any information, including personal information, you share with a public audience, including personal information you publish on our Site. Public information is available to anyone on or off our Services and can be seen or accessed through online search engines, APIs, and offline media, such as on TV.
1. Scope and consent
We can collect, process and retain personal information from you and any devices you use when you: register for an account with us, use our Services, give us information on a web form, update or add information to your account, join community discussions, chats or dispute resolution or when you otherwise contact us.
We may collect information you give us including:
- When you register for an account: Information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses or user ID (where applicable) when you register for an account with us
- When we verify you or your account: we may collect and process information to authenticate you or your account, or to verify the information that you provided to us
- When you transact on or use our Services: such as when you pay for a course, communicate with us. We may also collect your financial information (such as credit card ,PayPal id or bank account numbers) if you buy a feature from us or you are required to pay fees to us
- When you engage with our community: such as when you submit a web form or participate in community discussions or chats
- When you interact with your account: such as updating or adding information to your account, adding items to alerts lists and saving searches. Sometimes you may also give us your age, gender, interests and favorites
- When you contact us: such as through a web form, chat or dispute resolution or when we otherwise communicate with each other.
We collect information using cookies, web beacons and similar technologies including:
- Information about the pages you view, the links you click and other actions you take on our Services, or within our advertising or email content. For more information about our use of these technologies and how to control them, see our cookies policy.
Information we collect from other sources including:
- Information we get from third parties
which we may use to supplement your account information. For example, we may collect and use demographic information that is publicly available, additional contact information, credit check information and information from credit bureaus.
- Information from social media sites
when you use those sites to register, share information or connect to your account. Those sites may automatically give us access to some personal information they hold about you (e.g., content you viewed, content you liked, and information about the advertisements you were shown or clicked on, etc.). You control the personal information we have access to through your privacy settings on the social media site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access. When you grant us access to information held by social media sites you agree that we may collect, use and retain it in accordance with this Privacy Notice
- Information other users may provide about you.
If another user gives us information about you, they must tell you about our collection, use, disclose and retention policies before giving us the information. They must also get your explicit consent before giving us your information
You can see, review and change your personal information by signing in to your account. Please update your personal information immediately if it changes or is inaccurate.
Once you make a public posting,questions you may not be able to change or remove it. If you ask us to, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and as required.
We will honor your right to request access to, or modification or deletion of, your personal information. We may have the right to withhold that access or refuse to modify or erase your personal information, but we will give you reasons if we do so. To contact us about access and to find out if any fees apply, please contact our customer service.
4. Use and Retention
We use your personal information to provide, improve and personalize our Services
Your personal information allows us to:
- Offer you site content that includes items and services that you may like
- Provide you with credit offers and opportunities
- Customize, measure and improve our Services
We use your personal information to contact you about your account:
We may contact you via Messages, email, telephone, SMS messages or postal mail:
- To give you customer support about your account such as to troubleshoot problems, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed to us, or to get your opinion through surveys
We use your personal information to personalize our advertising and marketing, including to:
- Personalize, measure and improve our advertising
- Contact you, either via email, telephone, SMS text messages or postal mail to offer you discounts and special promotions and to let you know about our Services
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates and promotional offers
We use your personal information for legal compliance reasons, including to:
- Prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud, security breaches, potentially prohibited or illegal activities
Retention of personal information:
We may share your personal information with other companies in our group and third parties to provide you with our Services, to comply with the law, to enforce our policies, to enable our marketing and advertising activities, or to prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud or other illegal activities. We don’t give your personal information to third parties for their marketing and advertising purposes unless you give us permission.
We disclose your information to our cooperated partners who may use it to:
- provide content and services (like registration, transactions and customer support)
- offer you personalized advertising
- Guide decisions about the products, sites, applications, services, tools and marketing communications.
We may disclose your information to third-parties:
- Third party financial institution partners who may offer financial services to us, for them to provide joint content and services (such as registration, transactions and customer support). These third party financial institution partners will use your personal information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services
- Other third parties when you have given consent to share your information via EnglishMaster.lk
We may disclose your information to law enforcement and other parties in connection with the law, including:
- law enforcement or governmental agencies, or authorized third-parties, in response to a verified request regarding a criminal investigation, alleged or suspected illegal activity, or any other activity that may expose us, you or any of our users to legal risk
- participants of the EnglishMaster.lk “Verified Rights Owners Program” under confidentiality agreement, if we decide that it is necessary to disclose that information in connection with an investigation of fraud, intellectual property infringement, piracy or other unlawful activity
- credit agencies or bureaus as authorized by applicable national laws
- third parties commencing, or involved in, a legal proceeding if they provide us with a subpoena, court order or similar legal document
6. Change of ownership
if we were to merge with or be bought by another company, we may share information with them in accordance with our global privacy standards. The new combined entity would comply with this Privacy Notice. If your personal information is to be collected, used, disclosed or retained for any purposes not covered in this Privacy Notice, you will receive advance notice of any changes to the processing of your personal information.
7. Unwanted or threatening email
we do not tolerate abuse of our Services. You do not have permission to add other users to your mailing list, call or send SMS messages for commercial purposes, even if a user bought something from you, unless the user has given their explicit consent. To report spam or spoof emails please contact support service.
We protect your information using technical and administrative security measures. Our safeguards include firewalls and data encryption. If you believe your account has been abused, please contact us.
Upon download of certain Services, you are provided the option to opt into receiving notifications from EnglishMaster.lk on your device and within the application. We may send you push notifications from time-to-time to (a) inform you of service related messages, (b) communicate messages from others in the EnglishMaster.lk community and (c) update you about any events or promotions that we may be running. If you no longer wish to receive notifications from us, you can, where applicable, change your preferences by logging into your account or by disabling notifications in your device settings. To ensure you receive proper notifications, we will need to collect certain information about your device such as operating system and user identification information.
- Third party privacy practices
This Privacy Notice addresses only the use and disclosure of personal information we collect from you. If you disclose your information to others, or if you are directed to a third party website, their privacy notices and practices will apply.
We can’t guarantee the privacy or security of your information once you provide it to a third party. You should check the privacy and security policies of your trading partner before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your information, even when dealing with buyers or sellers on our site.
- Changes to this Privacy Notice
We can change this Privacy Notice at any time by posting the updated terms to the Site. The updated terms automatically take effect 30 days after they are posted. We may announce any changes to this Privacy Notice on our Site and/or via email if we believe they are material.
If you have a question or a complaint about this Privacy Notice or our privacy practices, you can write to email@example.com or follow the instructions on how to contact us at our site.